Thursday, October 17, 2019

Why?

In this brave new world, there are still reasons not to I guess but I thought the time had come to write about what it was like to be me.

That makes it sound like I'm so Generation Z but actually I'm old enough to be calling them precious snowflakes. Not that I would, even if I wasn't one of those precious snowflakes myself.

While I fit in to the world in some ways, I can kind of pass for normal enough to get along in polite society at least, at no point in my life, at least my adult life, has anyone ever called me normal. Except myself, in a kind of elf-deprecating but also self-protecting joke.

What this blog is going to do, as I very intermittently update it, is talk about how I'm gender fluid, how that affects me and my life, and what it means to me.

What this blog will not do is provide a "to do" manual or a description of how you should be gender fluid or treat every gender fluid person you meet.

For example, I heard someone who is gender fluid interviewed and basically each day they get up and assess whether today is a "male" day or a "female" day and dress accordingly. That's not me. I dress pretty agender every day and my gender identity changes quite a bit more quickly than that - sometimes almost minute by minute. Because of that, I'm also not all that precious about my pronouns - the way I feel can shift within a conversation which can be hard for even me to keep up with, so I find it hard to blame you if you can't!

I don't know how long this will last but while the ride is ongoing, I hope you have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment